Saturday, August 15, 2009

When those blustery winds start blowing...

Although the weather in Munich improved miraculously over the weekend, the constant rain and gloom from the last week and a half managed to dampen my hopes of ever having a proper summer. As pessimistic as it may be, I have pretty much given up on anything summer-esque this year and have decided instead, to focus on the impending fall.

As fall is my favorite time of the year, I'm not exactly dreading the official end of summer and actually have quite a lot to look forward to. When I lived in New England, I loved watching the leaves ignite into a showcase of colors and spent most of my time picking apples or walking in the woods. Sadly, all the leaves do in Germany is turn yellow and brown before coating the ground with dead, soggy bits. And picking apples is near impossible unless you happen to have a farm or an apple tree growing in your backyard... which I don't. So that really only leaves me with the biggest beer festival in the world (Oktoberfest) and the prospect of resurrecting some of my favorite "warm weather" outfits. Both are wins! :)

Like most people, my fall wardrobe tends to contain the following colors: pumpkin orange, army green, eggplant purple and of course, black and gray (come to think of it, black and gray are my staple colors for almost every outfit). I absolutely adore cozy cardigans, high-waisted skirts, form-fitting dresses and colorful tights, so these items will once again be making an appearance this fall. However, I do need to stock up on just a few more items before my wardrobe is rounded out- mainly, a few warm dresses and some winter accessories.

I did find these two 1950's dresses on German Ebay recently, which has actually been providing a decent selection of vintage clothes as of late. In total, I paid 12€ for both dresses and that includes shipping! I couldn't believe my luck, especially because they are both the perfect mix of fall colors. I found a great pair of 1950's brown leather pumps last week in one of my favorite thrift stores and they should fit quite nicely with the first dress... I'll have to find a more appropriate pair of shoes for the second dress, mainly because the pattern has so much potential. Either way, I'll be pairing both of these dresses with stockings and a cozy cardigan. :)

Oh, and I submitted to a guilty pleasure last night while perusing the internet... they may not be vintage, but I cannot seem to get enough of sky-high platform heels or peeptoe boots. I have been drooling over the versions done by Yves Sanit Laurent, Christian Louboutin and Charlotte Olympia, but the price tags just don't (and probably never will) fit my budget. So I've been on the hunt for an affordable take on this season's catwalk must-have and guess what? I managed to find the perfect combination on the H&M website for €39,90! Fits my budget and the design is definitely a win. SWOON! Not exactly sure what I will pair them with yet, probably just a funky skirt and some colorful tights, but I am counting down the days until they arrive on my doorstep and I can wear them outside. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment